Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Homemade Baby Food


Since I found out I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to make my own baby food.  We were hoping that we could go straight to baby led weaning, but the babe wasn't quite ready to 'pinch' the food yet.  

I recommend not spending money on a baby food system.  You can steam in the microwave, on the stove, or in a rice cooker and the blender will become your new best friend.  I've noticed that I tend to make large batches of food, and baby processors never seem to be big enough.  I'm all about efficiency, so the bigger the batch, the more happy the mama! (plus, not having another appliance makes the hubs happy).

We received a really neat steamer/mixer/bottle warmer as a gift, so we gave it a go - here we have avocados mixing on the right and butternut squash steaming on the left. It got the job done, but notice how small those containers are!


Avocado is an easy food to make - peel and blend!  It also has great fats to help brain development. Other foods need to be steamed first (like the squash) and then blended.

These silicone ice cube trays make perfect 1 oz food cubes for easy freezing/thawing.  I got them at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they no longer sell them (although I've seen them around in other stores) Here's the avocado ready to go:

Butternut Squash:


Just put in the freezer to harden, then pop out:

Avocado cubes:

Butternut squash:


Bagged in a freezer bag (label with food and date):

Nice and slim for storage:

Ready for the babe:

It's so easy to whip up a big batch and have it ready for a few cubes a day. We have all sorts of fun baby food recipes coming. 

We introduce a single food every week to watch for allergic reactions. I'm a bit more vigilant (neurotic?) because of my severe food allergies as a baby. We're also holding off on grains for a while (for a variety of reasons - look for a future post).

No comments:

Post a Comment