Monday, January 28, 2013

Apples and Pears and Teething Help

My sister-in-law made apple sauce for her toddler, and I thought it sounded super yummy!  So, I gave it a go myself. I semi-peeled two red apples, two green apples, and three pears.  You certainly could fully-peel them, but it is a pain in the neck and it adds some vitamins.  I cored and sliced them and cut them into chunks. 


I put them all into a dish with a lid and put them into the oven for 45 minutes at 350°. The lid is really important, because it keeps the juices in. I did it once without a lid and the top layers were a bit dry.  If you don't have a dish with a lid, you can put a few layers of foil.



It filled our house with the most delicious smell!! When it came out, I put about 3/4 of the mix into a blender to puree it for the babe. It smelled/looked so good, I took the other 1/4 and mashed it with a potato masher (so it remained fairly chunky).  Here's the puree freezing for the babe:



The babe LOVES the natural sweetness of the apple/pears.  It's also great to mix in with veggie-heavy foods for a picky baby.  The best thing about the mix is it has almost a sorbet consistency - so I'm able to whack the frozen cube a few times with a meat hammer and stuff it into one of the most awesome things ever!! It's a mesh sack that babies can suck on bigger solids without fear of chocking.  I like to use it with semi-frozen foods to help with teething pain.  The babe goes nuts for it! We got the set of two shown here.



I like to use the mush version over vanilla ice cream for an adult treat - add a touch of caramel for a decadent dessert.  It's basically amazing... gotta love multi-purpose recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment