Wednesday, April 3, 2013

BEEF - It's what's for babies...

Since we didn't introduce rice/grain with the babe (see reasons here), I wanted to make sure he was getting enough iron in his diet. Enter steak - yummy!

I got a small package of grass-fed free-range beef from Trader Joe's.  I think it was flank steak... but I don't recall.  I made sure to cut off the fat and cooked it on the stove until it was well done (not burnt, but no pink in sight).

In the blender it went:


Voila! Minced meat:

I then added steamed spinach and broccoli.  I present to you, Spinach, Beef, & Broccoli! The vitamins in the veggies help the iron absorb. 


I have to say the babe wasn't sure at first.  I had to mix in a bit of fruit to get him to eat it.  So we do a 1:1 mix of fruits to greens and he doesn't seem to mind.

Also, we had our iron level test, and he is smack dab in the middle of the normal range - great validation that I'm doing SOMETHING right! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment