Monday, April 8, 2013

Grapeseed Oil - A New Obesession

I recently attended a cooking party and was introduced to grapeseed oil.  I was an olive oil girl for years, but I've switched teams and won't look back.  How different cooking oils compare:

It also has a higher flash point than most common cooking oils. This is good to note, because oil begins smoking/burning off and producing free fatty acids at the smoke point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

 Like olive oils, not all grapeseed oils are created equal.  It isn't all that easy to find (I think I saw some at Trader Joe's, but didn't look closely).  I prefer Wildtree oils.  They literally take seeds from wine grapes and smush the hell out of them (my technical explanation). The most common oil extraction method of other companies uses a chemical created from crude oil - gross!  

Grapeseed oil a 'green' oil - figuratively (it's made from leftovers of another process - wine) and literally (it's green). I also find myself using less when cooking (1 tsp versus the 2 tbsp I used with Olive Oil).

I started with a sampler pack of oils (the 4 smaller bottles) that included 5oz bottles of the plain grapeseed, zesty lemon, basil pesto, and roasted garlic. It's amazing the amount of flavor you can infuse into a meal through the oil.  I put the roasted garlic in my homemade bread dough and the basil pesto in our homemade vinaigrette.  DELISH!!


They also have some other flavors: natural butter, jalepeno, balsamic dipping, hickory smoked, and smoky bacon - which we use to cook eggs in... yummy!!!


Unfortunately, Wildtree isn't sold in stores, but you can order it online.  I really liked the sample pack (only $36) because it let you try 4 flavors.  You can order online at: http://www.mywildtree.com/LANGLEY/ (UPDATE: I have now started selling Wildtree myself - can't beat the price break and the opportunity to share something I really love).

On a side note, I really like all of the Wildtree products.  They have simple ingredients and are made in a peanut-free facility.  They also have gluten-free options for anyone with dietary concerns.

I also would like to point out I wasn't paid for this post. I just wanted to share my newest kitchen obsession.  Have you tried grapeseed oil? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment