Monday, March 18, 2013

The Dirty Details - Cloth Diapering

WARNING - This post contains poop! Scroll down at your own risk. 

I think most people's hesitation with cloth diapers is the mess. You want me to put WHAT in my washing machine?!?

Some people are hard core and use cloth diapers AND cloth wipes.  I prefer to leave the nasty stuff in the trash... I also use flushable liners to get the solids off the diaper easily (and down the toilet where it belongs)! I use bummis brand liners. I get the long rolls and cut the roll in half with a bread knife so it will fit better in the diaper.  Two rolls out of one - a roll lasts months!

So let's get to it... purple poop, blue outline of the liner (hard to see white on white): 


Poop goes in the pot with the liner:

Bigger poop - before and after:


They do offer diaper sprayers you can attach to your toilet to wash off the remaining mess. It would probably be really helpful if we didn't do liners. I don't mind a bit of leftovers... I just don't wash towels after a diaper load.

As far as how I sort the trash/diapers in the nursery - I have a trash can for wipes/small poops and a pail with this liner for diapers. I love that it has a wide top and a zip opening at the bottom so you're not having to dig out dirty diapers to wash them.  I have two bags; the bag goes in the wash with the diapers.


I haven't had an issue with our diapers smelling.  They say the smell comes from the ammonia in the urine mixing with leftover detergent chemicals.  For this reason, I use special Rock'N Green cloth detergent that is meant to rinse clean (they also have yummy scented shakers to 'freshen up' your pail between washes). You can buy it all over the place, and they have special hard/soft water formulas.

Not sure if you can tell the settings on the washer, but I run it hot, extra rinse, soak cycle.  Line dry.

I want to mention a few things -- newborn poop is like tar - literally - they could pave roads with that stuff! I used scent/dye free disposables they gave us at the hospital the first day or two until the meconium (baby tar poop) was gone. Until baby is eating real food (not milk or formula) the poops are a bit more runny - also more water soluble. So you'll have more 'overage' on the liners, but it isn't like actual poop yet.

Do you have a diaper cleaning tip? Have you braved cloth wipes?

In writing this post I'm thinking more about using cloth wipes for liquids... we do go through quite a bit of wipes!!! Still no nasty wipes though... not brave enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment