Friday, June 13, 2014

Blueberry Muffin Remix

I almost titled this post 'Vegan Blueberry Muffins' but I think some people shy away from things labeled vegan because they think it means less tasty. These muffins were just as good as the regular (without the guilt or the hives)!




My intention wasn't to create vegan muffins; I just wanted some goodies for a morning party that our son could eat (dairy free). Also, I was looking for one without egg, as I have a friend who's child has an egg allergy. I know what a relief it can be to have 'safe' food for your kids.




I came across a few different recipes and tweaked them. We already eat TONS of soy - so I really didn't want a recipe with lots of soy (plus I feel like you can always taste the hint of soy in something). We use organic soy milk, but even then, soy crops are one of the most 'engineered' in our food supply (right up there with corn). I'm not diligent with non-GMO foods, but I always want to choose a more natural alternative when possible. 

My recipe ended up as follows:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ
Combine ingredients in a bowl the order listed
1/4 cup non-dairy margarine (can sub 'real' butter/margarine)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup rice milk (can sub almond, soy, real, etc)
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour (any kind)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
fold in 2.5 cups blueberries
Bake 35 minutes

I used Costco brand organic rice milk and this spread from Trader Joes:

 

Mine made 2 dozen smaller muffins (not mini-muffins, just no muffin-tops). I find giant muffins harder to get out of the liner for little ones. If you want to make larger muffins you'll probably get closer to 18.

I'm happy to report I came back with an empty platter - so the other kiddos and moms enjoyed them too!

Get creative with the mix - use flavored applesauce, add raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, etc!

**Side note: I know there are many blogs that post the most amazing, glorious, beautiful pictures of food. I'm the mother of 2 small ones with an iPhone trying to find and share goodies with anyone who stops by :)

1 comment:

  1. So many tasty vegan options you would never know are vegan. Earth Balance is great stuff to have on hand and coconut milk is always a nice soy alternative too :)

    ReplyDelete